Start or Register a Business

Do you already own a business in another state, and wish to register your existing, non-Vermont (foreign) entity to do business in Vermont?

If you are registered in another state and wish to do business in Vermont, you will have to apply for authority operate in Vermont. Please select your current business structure from the “What type of business would you like Start or Register?” menu on the right to find more information.

Please Note: You will be required to provide us with a recent Certificate of Good Standing (or equivalent) from your home state (valid no later than 90 days from the date of filing).


Are you starting a business from scratch in Vermont?

As the state registry for business entity registrations and maintenance, the Corporations Division is the place to start.

Please select your desired business structure from the “What type of business would you like to Star or Register?” menu above on the right for more information or refer to our online Business Start-Up Guide below.

STOP: Before you get started we recommend that you consult with an attorney, accountant or business advisor about which business structure is best for you.

Business Start-Up Guide

DO NOT make investments in advertising, websites or signage until you have registered your business with our office and received a Certificate confirming that the desired name was available and not rejected.   

This page was last updated: 2014-07-23