In addition to your business registration with the Corporations Division, you may be required to:
1. Obtain a federal tax ID number/employer identification number (EIN) for your new business.
An EIN is also often required to open a bank account. Following are some resources for you to get started:
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website
- IRS Form SS-4: Application for an EIN
- IRS Pub 1635: Understanding Your EIN
- Apply for an EIN online
The IRS website is only available during certain hours. Print your EIN before closing your session.
2. Obtain a Vermont state tax ID number.
Following are some resources for you to get started:
- Vermont Department of Taxes website
- Form S-1: Vermont Application for a Business Tax Account
- Vermont Department of Taxes: Starting a Business and List of Major Vermont Taxes
3. Obtain a license or permit to operate your new business legally.
The easiest way to navigate the wide range of federal, state, and local requirements is to search by your business type and locality using:
Alternatively, for Vermont regulations, visit: